Saturday, July 12, 2008

One day from Wichita in Wichita.

Lots of News. First, the title. I'm in Wichita right now with my grandparents, who kindly picked me up a day before I'll get here on skates and will drop me off again tomorrow morning so I can get here. After crossing into Kansas, I took a two day break in Kansas City, which I was driven to and from by Joe and Mr. Flanigan. I had a great time, and I spent a lot of time helping babysit a few kids (Paige and Brooks) with Bridget (and Sydney). I got to see Wall-E with Mrs. Flanigan, which was actually pretty good, and got to go to a KC Wizards MLS game with Wil and Bridget. I came out of there well rested and ready to go. However, on Thursday night, I received an email from Joe Rehana (www.joetrek.com) who is also skating across the country, though from the other side. He informed me that he was stopped by a police officer in Colorado(after having skated over 350 miles through the state), ticketed, and told that it is illegal to skate on the road in Colorado. It seems after some research that this is true. This law is one of a kind to my knowledge, and in my opinion is extremely outdated. In any case, it's not looking good for skating through Colorado. Fortunately, I have found a path through the top of New Mexico that seems to be as good or better, though there will be a few tricky days. I may take another day off on Monday to do some planning for this route, though I think at this point I've got it pretty well figured out. So, if you have some free time, write an angry letter to the State of Colorado and keep checking back for updates, which will probably continue to be sparse.

No comments: